Communication is essential for the survival of all living beings and business activities. Entrepreneurship goals can’t be met without effectively communicating a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) to all customers, whether they are actual or potentials. Therefore, organizations succeed when they adapt powerful communication strategies.
Effective communication was thought like external communication, announcements, advertisement pieces, and commercials, from the company to customers. Over time experience has shown it is essential to generate it with the companies team members.
Without adequate internal communication and cooperation, it will be challenging to respond to external communication efforts.
In that sense, effective communication must be supported by the following premises:
- 1) Have a purpose. The first thing to know is what you want to communicate, why, and for what. It will help you to establish your communication strategies.
- 2) Be clear. It’s important that your message is clear and precise and doesn’t lend itself to misinterpretation.
- 3) Learn active listening. As communication is essential, attention to what the other party has to say is also a crucial part of a conversation. If you don’t know how to listen to your counterpart, you will hardly know how to please them.
- 4) Put yourself in the other’s place. Just as you listen, you must understand your interlocutor, and you try to interpret their circumstances
- 5) Be assertive. Say what you think with respect. Communicate your feelings without anxiety and defend your rights without restricting those of others. Accept criticism and consider the possibility that they are valid, and this will help you grow.
- 6) Voice tone and expressions should match with your words. Ensure your posture, voice tone, and non-verbal communication are in sync with what you want to express. The way you convey a message is even more important than the content of the message.
- 7) Be brief and concise. If you keep rambling, you will lose the meaning of your words, and you will end up generating doubts and mistrust in those who listen to you.
- 8) Act flexible and avoid prejudices. Be open to exchanging ideas and adapt to changes. If you do not know something, ask questions, and don’t predispose yourself to strange situations.
- 9) Give priority to feedback. One of the keys to networking is feedback. Give and ask for all the feedback you can. The vision and experience of others can be beneficial to you and the entire team’s performance.
- Remember: When you ask for feedback, it’s important that you do it to more than one person to confirm the opinion’s accuracy. And when you give it, take care; you must first highlight what has been done well before referring to what you think should be changed or improved.
Effective communication will make possible:
- 1) Focus the team towards the goals.
- 2) Promote teamwork.
- 3) Boost everyone’s morale, collaboration, and commitment.
- 4) Distribute available resources most effectively.
- 5) Avoid misunderstandings and conflicts in resolution.
You can see our Spanish webinar here: Communication Skills for Developers (Part I) with Anne Pirkkanen. She is a specialist in Neurolinguistic Programming and with 10 years of experience working with development and communication teams.
THE KISS PRINCIPLE
And very important, effective communication should rest in one of the Marketing Maxims, the KISS Principle means «Keep it short and simple» (*).
The KISS principle was developed by marketing strategists to propose to us that we try to communicate based on the simplicity of forms and concepts. It also suggests that we avoid the natural human tendency to resort to the complicated, to the motley, perhaps to show that we make a great effort or simply to «massage the ego.»
All internal or external communication must keep this in mind; the short and straightforward is that comes, the complicated not.
The keys to achieving KISS communication are:
- 1) Go to the root of what you want to treat.
- 2) Avoid superfluous or irrelevant aspects.
- 3) Make it easy to understand.
- 4) And make it current.
- 5) Review it, evaluate it, and simplify it again.
In summary, communicate in the most simple way you can achieve your company’s goals. Keep it as short, easy, and transparent as possible, without forgetting respect and empathy for your interlocutors and audience. Articulate your thoughts ina way that everyone understands. If you follow these recommendations, you will indeed become a communication expert.
And remember the wise words of great Albert Einstein:
«It must be simple to be true. If it’s not simple, we probably won’t be able to figure it out.»
(*) For other authors, the KISS Principle means: «Keep It Simple, Stupid.»
Author: Julio Juárez Soriano
Interfell Marketing Department